MBBR Technology – Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor
This is an advanced biological reactor for aquaculture and aquarium wastewater treatment. MAT Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor (MBBR). Moving Bed technology presents several operational advantages, compared to other conventional LSS biological treatments. Smaller biological reactor volumes and smaller secondary settling surface are needed in order for bacteria slime to settle and nourish.
Scientifically proven results indicate that a properly designed MBBR Technology with polyethylene media as Biofilm carrier possess great potential to be used for OMS removal from aquaculture wastewater. The moving bed Biofilm process may be used as an ideal and efficient option for the total nutrient removal from a closed circuit aquaculture or public aquarium waste water treatment.
Advantages of MBBR Moving Bed Biofilm Processes
The MBBR is a complete mix, continuous flow through process which combines the advantage of fixed film and suspended growth processes, this advantage includes:
- Compact units with small size.
- Increased treatment capacity.
- Complete solids removal.
- Improved settling characteristics.
- Operation at higher suspended biomass.
- Concentrations leading to long sludge retention times.
- Enhanced process stability.
- Low head loss.
- No filter channeling.
- No need of periodic backwashing.
- Reduced sludge production and no problems with Sludge bulking.
Mode of MBBR Technology operation
Feed water (usually water coming directly form overflow) is flowing upwards through the moving filter bed. Filtrated water is discharged at the top and into the sump. Solids are retained and the established biomass converts organic solids into No3. In order to maximize oxygen levels and the growth f the aerobic bacteria, air is injected into the moving media bed to create ideal operating conditions for the filters’ biomass.
Filter bed aeration
The required aeration within the filter is established by using a rigid aeration grid. The grit is fed by both high pressured air releasing air bubbles at the bottom of the filter bed, that move upwards. Oxygen uptake by the biomass on the moving/floating media is highly efficient, as these are moving slowly downwards, creating a moving bed vortex.
- Aquarium Filtration Systems from @MAT_LSS. A dedicated department of MAT to Aquarium Filtration Equipment & Enginee… https://t.co/SoO7OekE2I 1 week ago
- The Global Sales Director of MAT visits the Biomuseo in Panama. Thumbs up for the great Biomuseo team! Our project… https://t.co/PP01mmEf8H 4 weeks ago
- Engineering & Production departments have been busy in making something very powerful! The new Recirculating Aquacu… https://t.co/jxUfRK0nAi 1 month ago
- MAT is awarded to design, manufacture and install the filtration systems on the new Pannon Park of the @budapestzoo… https://t.co/KbnXcsgB0f 2 months ago
- Work at Salwa Resort is in progress and the first equipment is already delivered and installed! More:… https://t.co/a4RPL4jySB 2 months ago
- MAT is proud to be one of the #AASLO dinner sponsors. Thanks to everyone for joining us, a big thanks to AALSO for… https://t.co/m4U0VQPu4U 2 months ago
- Sometimes It's really impressive to see what MAT Filtration Technologies can do just in short time. #purewater… https://t.co/J5E9LSDZDz 2 months ago
- Sometimes It's really impressive to see what MAT Filtration Technologies can do just in short time. #purewater… https://t.co/cmbh2g4k1d 2 months ago
- Our Global Sales Director Vassilis Sklavounos is at IAAPA in Hong Kong! Do you want to learn more about MAT Filtrat… https://t.co/w4KTrsAMrn 3 months ago
- RT @Aqualifecomgr: At @PoemaDelMar this morning. A must go destination at Gran Canaria! Filtration Systems are provided by @MAT_LSS.… https://t.co/STnbTgHA5O 3 months ago
MAT LSS Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter by filling your name, your email and the company you work for below.